The annual income of 8-10 lakhs generally falls under the slab rate of 20% after considering the mandatory deduction of 2.5 lac.
However, you being a content writer can be considered as a professional income/business income. Depending upon the treatment you believe to be correct, following are the ways you may save and structure your income to minimize the tax liability or even make it NIL:-
1. In case, you consider the same to be your professional earnings, you may opt for presumptive taxation and you just need to offer 50% of your income as taxable income
2. In case, you consider the same to be your business earnings, you may opt for presumptive taxation and you just need to offer 6%/8% (as the case may be) of your total receipts as taxable income.
3. Under section 80C, every individual is allowed to calim deduction upto 1,50,000 from the total income. For this, you need to pay premium towards LIC policy, Make an FD for 5 years or invest in mutual funds, contribution in PPF. etc.
4. In addition to the above, you may also get additional deduction up to 50,000 if you contribute in NPS( National Pension scheme).
5. Then deductions are available for medical insurance policies if you pay mediclaims for yourself or parents or children etc.
6. The donations to trusts and charitable societies are also eligible for deduction thereby reducing your taxable income and minimizing your tax liability.
7. The rent you can claim under section 80GG for which a separate form 10BA is also required to be filed with the tax department.
There are many other options available apart from these. However, it depends on how much you report under the income sections.