• Income tax related

I worked as a consultant and also as an employee in the year [deleted]:

1.Consultant (April-2018 ,May and June-2018)
I got 150000 per month take home,paid 16666 per month as tax @10%. Total 49998 rs for 3 months

2.Employee:(August -2018 to March 2019)

Gross Salary (A+C)	1210196.00
 After subtracting the HRA and Standard deduction, Gross Total Income (I + J)	1147224.00
 After Deduction under chapter VI A	of 154368.00
 M) Taxable Income	992856.00
 after adding cess, it comes to as below:
 Q) Nett Tax (O + P)	115514.00

Total tax paid in the year is 115514.00 (Form16 -Employee) + 49998 (Form16A - Consultant) = 165512 Rupees.
how much refund will i get? I do not have any other source of income. I am resident of India.
Can you please provide me the details. Should i approach any CA?
Asked 2 years ago in Income Tax



- For consultancy income you can avail the benefit u/s 44AD/44ADA depending on the nature of consultancy.

- Yes, you must consult CA to avoid error/mistakes in the ITR. From this year onwards, returns are made more comprehensive which needs details to be filled with utmost care. If any mistake happens either the return will become defective return or demand will come which again demand CA to be consulted.

- You can approach me at aroravivek1982@gmail



Vivek Kumar Arora
CA, Delhi
4279 Answers
428 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,


Hope you are doing well !!


If you are providing eligible professional services covered u/s 44ADA then you can opt presumptive taxation scheme.

In case of a person adopting the provisions of section 44ADA, income will be computed on a presumptive basis, i.e. @ 50% of the total gross receipts of the profession. In other words, total gross receipts from profession should not exceed Rs 50 lakh for a financial year.


However, as per data mentioned ,you are falling in 30% tax slab. There will be no refund.


In fact, you will be liable to pay additional tax (Assuming you have provided all the investment details).


As such, there is no need to hire/approach CA for the same.


If you need any further assistance, you can call me.





Payal Chhajed
CA, Mumbai
5136 Answers
194 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If this is your Income then you will have a tax payable of around Rs. 85,000 as you are coming under 30% slab rate.


If you want i can also help you with filing your income tax return.


Hope you find the information helpful if you do please rate it 5 and provide your valuable feedback for my improvement.

Thank you.

Naman Maloo
CA, Jaipur
3915 Answers
52 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



What is the nature of consultancy provides by you? Check the availability of presumptive taxation under section 44ADA.

Whatsoever the case may be, you are required to file ITR. You should get it filed by a CA.

We may assist you in the same.

Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
5590 Answers
684 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There are some things with the help of which you can reduce the tax liability on your total income.

for the period April-June2018, you worked as a consultant, you can show this income as Profits and gains from business/profession and can claim expenses relating to your consultancy business like stationery, electricity, rent, laptop depreciation, mobile bill, etc. or u can show this income under section 44ADA and can claim 50% ad hoc expenses, so your consultancy income will get reduced to half of what it is now.

and for the remaining employment period,

calculation needs to be done regarding HRA as HRA is not fully expemt, it depends on amount of rent paid as well as your basic salary.

Apart from this, if you have any other deductions u/s 80c can also be deducted.


so there is a lot of scope for you to reduce your taxable income.

Priyank Kumar
CA, Agra
63 Answers

5.0 on 5.0



You can use avail Sec. 44ADA for your consultancy income and claim 50% deduction from the gross receipts of the consultancy.

Net tax payable will be calculated at slab rates accordingly.

Further, for return filing, it would be advisable to consult a CA to avoid any error in you income tax return and better planning.

I hope this answer satisfies your requirement.



CA Hunny Badlani

Hunny Badlani
CA, Madhya Pradesh
2588 Answers
12 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



You can save taxes or claim refund by opting for presumptive taxation.


In that case, your gross income as consultant role will be 2,49,999/- and hence the taxes deducted @ 10% on balance 50% consulting income shall become refundable.




Damini Agarwal
CA, Bangalore
389 Answers
31 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA