• Return filing

Hi Sir,
Dr Mufthaqhir Ahmed here, l have promptly been filing my IT returns since past ten years up to [deleted], but now amidst some serious personal issues I have missed the deadline of filing [deleted] returns (even the belated deadline). So please tell me whether I can file the present financial year without filing the previous one or what...
Asked 2 years ago in Income Tax


Vivek Kumar Arora
CA, Delhi
4279 Answers
428 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear sir, Of course you can file current year Income tax return. No worries. 

Shrinidhi Rao
CA, Udupi
38 Answers
1 Consultation

Not rated

HI Ahmed,


You can file this year return irrespective of the fact that last return is not submitted.

Each year return filing is independent under income tax act. So this yer you can file even if last year return is missed out.



Damini Agarwal
CA, Bangalore
389 Answers
31 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,


Hope you are doing well !!


Yes, you can file the present financial year return without filing the previous year returns.


There is no problem in it.

Payal Chhajed
CA, Mumbai
5136 Answers
194 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes sir you surely can.

There is no such requirement that to file this year's return you need to file previous year's return.

Also if you were having some refund in previous year.

I can help you file them as well.

Hope you find the information helpful if you do please rate it 5 and provide your valuable feedback for my improvement.

Thank you

Naman Maloo
CA, Jaipur
3915 Answers
52 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



Yes, you can file the return for current year even if return for the previous year has not been filed.

Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
5590 Answers
684 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Yes, please file the current year tax return timely.  It is likely that you can get notice for non-filing of lat year return.  I would advise you to pay the tax of last year, if any, so that interest can be minimized.  You should also collect supporting documents which shows your hardship in filing return.

Jasmina Jain Shah
CA, Greater Mumbai
447 Answers
4 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



Yes,file this year return timely,no matters last year return filled or not.



Hope it helps

Swati Agrawal
CA, Mumbai
1146 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can file the present ITR, last year ITR cannot be filed until Income Tax department furnishes you a notice to file return.

Priyank Kumar
CA, Agra
63 Answers

5.0 on 5.0


Yes, you can file the present F.Y.'s return.

I hope this answer satisfies your requirement.



CA Hunny Badlani

Hunny Badlani
CA, Madhya Pradesh
2588 Answers
12 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hello Sir,


Yes, you can file the CY return.

Karishma Chhajer
CA, Jodhpur
2439 Answers
27 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA