• Tax jurisdiction for non residents

I am non-resident in United Arab Emirates. When filing return for Asst yr 2019-20 in ITR 2, I have mentioned United Arab Emirates as jurisdiction of residence and mentioned UAE resident ID under taxpayer identification no ( since there is no taxation in UAE ). while submitting XML file, I am getting the following error message : 

XML schema is invalid. Please upload the XML in correct Schema
At Line Number 51 : The Value "United Arab Emirates" of element " ITR Form: JuristdictionResidence" is not valid.

I have tried using UAE - same result. 

What should I do ?
Asked 4 years ago in Income Tax

Dear Sir, 


Instead of writing UAE or United Arab Emirates under the jurisdiction tab, please use the drop down list and select '971 - United Arab Emirates' option.


Hope this will clarify your doubt and you will be able to generate your XML after this. 



CA Sourabh Pahuja 

Sourabh Pahuja
CA, Delhi
78 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

Please use the drop down provided in the utility.

Hope you find the information helpful if you do please rate it 5 and provide your valuable feedback for my improvement.

Thank you

Naman Maloo
CA, Jaipur
4216 Answers
94 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



Please select from the drop-down list "971-United Arab Emirates".



CA Hunny Badlani

Hunny Badlani
CA, Madhya Pradesh
2608 Answers
16 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Can you try putting XXXXXXXXXX in tax identification number.


I never faced this issue while filing return for UAE residents

Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
5687 Answers
885 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,


You can simply put "XXXXXXXXXX" for successful filing. 

Payal Chhajed
CA, Mumbai
5187 Answers
279 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Whatever you wrote it is valid. Just try it downloading another utility and deleting the cookies in your browser. You can try the excel utility also.

Vivek Kumar Arora
CA, Delhi
4708 Answers
967 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



Check your residential status. If it's resident then put india tax jurisdiction there and if  you Are non resident then select NR as your residential status. 


We may assist you in return filling. Please feel free to contact us. 



Swati Agrawal
CA, Mumbai
1146 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA