• Recovery from salary

I have joined a job in Dec 2016 and my salary fixation was done wrongly by the employer.
In July 2019, the correction was made by employer and around 9000 is being recovered from my salary on monthly basis which will continue till next year.
I have deducted the recovery amount from my salary for income tax calculation for FY 2019-2020.

My doubt is that i have already paid income tax (30% slab) on the amount being recovered right now. How to claim refund for that, any section for exemption etc.
Asked 14 days ago in Income Tax from Agra, Uttar Pradesh

In my opinion, You can't claim a refund. Kindly ask the employer to include that deduction in Form 16A and deduct TDS accordingly. While filling the income tax return you can claim the same from the Income tax department. 

Vidya Jain
CA, Kolkata
766 Answers
20 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0



it depends upon hiw you and your employer are treating the recovery. if your employer is hoing to revise tds return, then you can also revise your return to the extent available.


Otherwise, if you and your employer are deducting it from current year's salary, then your are getting tax benefits in the current year.

Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
4255 Answers
239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,


Hope you are doing well !!


It is advisable to take a phone for detailed discussion.



Payal Chhajed
CA, Mumbai
3730 Answers
50 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If it's been recovered same would be reflected in your form 16 and hence when you'll file your income tax return you will get your refund.

Hope you find the information helpful if you do please rate it 5 and provide your valuable feedback for my improvement.

Thank you

Naman Maloo
CA, Jaipur
2688 Answers
24 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



Whether the recovery of salary is being reflected in the current year's Form 16. If it is being declared there by the employer, you are getting the benefits this year in reduced salary(taxable income)


To get the tax effect for the recovery, we need to check how the recovery amount is being declared by your employer.

I hope that this answer satisfies your requirements.



CA Hunny Badlani

Badlani & Associates

Hunny Badlani
CA, Madhya Pradesh
1587 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA