• Need advice

Hi, I am currently working for one organisation where I believe I have one uin number and dedicated pf account and I am willing to work for another company as well since I am able to adjust my timings and both are remote. what happens if i join new company? Will they deduct pf and issue another uan or run on same uan? If they do so what would be the problem in future. Would current or future employer know about this?
Asked 16 days ago in Income Tax


As per your query you need to give the same UAN No. to your new employer and should clearly state that i am working in another organization also who is deducting my PF. An employee should not have two UAN No. since it is against the rules to have two UAN No. 

If by mistake two UAN's have been allotted, you have to transfer your PF Balance and get the old one deactivated.

You should tell both your employers regarding your work in another organization.


Hope i am able to solve you query. 

Please do rate if you like the consultation.

Thanks & Best regards

CA Shubham Bansal

Shubham Bansal
CA, Amritsar
22 Answers

5.0 on 5.0

There can not be Two employer under Same UAN


So in given case mandatorily seperate UAN will be generated


However it will be recommed to go for voulntary PF deduction so that no PF liability will be there and no issue of UAN.


Since now PF is based on aadhar two account may create issue at the time of redemption


Same UAN Not possible since UAN  have employer code which will chnage with the employer


So best option is to go for voluntary PF

Vishrut Rajesh Shah
CA, Ahmedabad
773 Answers
22 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Each employer should issue separate UAN number as far as I know.


Hope you find the information helpful if you do please rate it 5 and provide your valuable feedback for my improvement.

Thank you.

Naman Maloo
CA, Jaipur
3668 Answers
40 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



Ideally an Employee who is a EPF member can have only one UAN 


 in two scenarios;

  • If you are joining a new company (employer), you are supposed to inform your new employer about your existing UAN number (if any). Your new employer will then open new EPF account (member-ID) and links this to your previous UAN. If you do not provide your existing UAN, a new UAN can be generated by your new employer which results in duplicate UAN numbers being allotted to the same EPF member.
  • Another scenario can be – When you leave your company, your employer has to furnish ‘the date of exit’ details in the ECR (Electronic Challan cum Return). If they do not provide this information in-time and meanwhile you join a new establishment, this can result in two UAN numbers being allotted to you for both the employments.

If you have two UANs then transfer of monies from your old EPF a/c to your new EPF account which is linked to new UAN cannot happen, as an employee can have only one unique UAN ID.

Karishma Chhajer
CA, Jodhpur
2272 Answers
15 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



On joining the new company, you are required to disclose your current UAN to the new employer.

In case two separate UANs are issued, you would be required to merge the two UAN's and transfer the fund in the new EPF account.

I hope this answer satisfies your requirements. 



CA Hunny Badlani

Hunny Badlani
CA, Madhya Pradesh
2517 Answers
8 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

to claim the benefits of PF contribution with two or more companies, you will have to share the same UAN number with the other company also where in they can record the contribution. Hence both the companies can extend you the benefits of PF but on the same PF account.

Ruchi Goel Anchal
CA, Gurgaon
404 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



Every employee is allotted a 12-digit UAN, which is a unique number. An employee cannot hold more than one UAN and it is irrespective of how many employers you may have worked with. The employee’s PF number gets linked to UAN and it helps in seamless management of PF-related issues, including transfers, withdrawal as well as checking balances.

Having 2 different UAN numbers for one employee is illegal and against the rules

Payal Chhajed
CA, Mumbai
4896 Answers
91 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0



You are allowed to maintain only one UAN number. Having more than one UAN would be against the regulations.



Ideally you should report your UAN to the new employer. 

Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
5245 Answers
351 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA