• Minor Intraday Trades

Last year was my first year investing in the stock market. While almost all transactions I undertook were for more than 3 months and applicable for short term capital gain and most for LTCG as held for more than a year. I also erroneously undertook 4 small intraday transactions where the total turnover of them is about Rs.328 ( sum of profit and loss of the 4 transactions) and a total loss of Rs.75 on them. I do not want to carry forward the loss as will not be engaging in Intra day. Do I need to show these transactions as 44AD at 6% of the turnover or can I not enter them as I do not want to carry forward the loss.
Asked 5 months ago in Income Tax



Yes, you can do so. 

Alternatively, looking at the no. of transactions only being four, you may include such transactions under short term capital gains/losses.

Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
5638 Answers
763 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

- Profit/Loss from intraday trading of shares is treated as speculative business income. Show 6% of turnover as speculative business income.

Vivek Kumar Arora
CA, Delhi
4408 Answers
527 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,


Hope you are doing well !!


You can show the same u/s 44ad.



Payal Chhajed
CA, Mumbai
5153 Answers
218 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Intraday losses are speculative in nature and cannot come under section 44AD. If you wish to not carry forward it, you can just choose to ignore them in the next year. But you will have to report them in order to avoid differences with AIS. 

Prerna Peshori
CA, Pune
40 Answers

5.0 on 5.0

You may leave these transactions if you do not wish to carry forward the losses.


Ruchi Goel Anchal
CA, Gurgaon
496 Answers
8 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA