• Showing side income other than form 16

I work in a software company. They have given me form 16. I also earn from tutions. Can i show that tution income while filing income tax. If yes, in which section??
Asked 3 years ago in Income Tax from Bangalore, Karnataka
You can show tuition income as "income from other sources" and claim expenses relating to earning such income.
B Vijaya Kumar
CA, Hyderabad
833 Answers
46 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Option 1;- a) Dont inform your employer about your other income and request him not to file your returns. Consult a CA. File return with him by sharing details of your income, expenses, assets and depreciation. This is advisable.

Option 2; - b) Inform your employer about the additional income after taking into consideration expenses. They will deduct tax on that.
Shashank Surana
CA, Chennai
60 Answers
4 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

You need to show tution income under Income from other sources.
Shyam Sunder Modani
CA, Hyderabad
1408 Answers
95 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

You can show Tution Income as Income from Other Sources and also claim genuine expenses in relation to earning that Income.

Note: That income will be liable to tax if you are above the Basic Exemption Limit.

Thanking You.


CA Rohit R Sharma.
Rohit R Sharma
CA, Mumbai
2089 Answers
90 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Either under business Income or other sources.
Vijay N. Kale
CA, Hyderabad
248 Answers
12 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You are required to show all incomes while filing your Income tax return.

If Tuition income is from part time work then you can show it under the head Income from Other Sources otherwise it is taxable under Professional Income.

For other queries, you can contact at;
Shiv Kumar Agarwal
CA, Delhi
248 Answers
58 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA