Share Trade income has to be shown as Business Income

would like to know if it is necessary to show the share trading income as business income  and preparing balance sheet and P&L while filing returns from A.Y 15-16
My dad is a senior citizen and  his income is mainly from interests on Fixed Deposits
He also does trading in shares to a small extent and has income from short term and day trading

Asked 2 years ago in Income Tax from Greater Mumbai, Maharashtra
There are no definite guide lines to determine whether income from trading in shares is business income or otherwise. It is the matter of judgement whether it is done as a business or investment.

Day trade in shares will result in income from speculative business. 
Vijay N. Kale
CA, Hyderabad
248 Answers
4.9 on 5.0
  Talk to Vijay N. Kale
F & O profit need to be shown under the head Income from Business. In case of delivery based trading you can share the same under Short Term Capital Gain and Long Term Capital Gain. 

In case of Business Income you need to prepare P & L and B/s. and file the same at the time of filing. 

In case of intraday sales of shares the profit /loss will be treated as Speculation profit/loss.
Shyam Sunder Modani
CA, Hyderabad
1408 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to Shyam Sunder Modani

Ask a Question

Get tax advice from top-rated chartered accountants. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
Ask a question

Other Questions

Chartered Accountants

Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
1249 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Vivek Kumar Arora
CA, Delhi
524 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Abhishek Dugar
CA, Mumbai
2653 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Nikhil Khanna
CA, Mumbai
408 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Sunny Thakral
CA, Delhi
224 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Rohit R Sharma
CA, Mumbai
2055 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Damini Agarwal
CA, Bengaluru
94 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Brijendra Tripathi
CA, Gurgaon
83 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Keerthiga Padmanabhan
CA, Greater Mumbai
784 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Vidya Jain
CA, Kolkata
499 Answers
4.0 on 5.0