• Should i finish my registration ?


I have applied for service tax registration through an online portal and received my st1 and 2
but nor followed up with post verification yet.

My question is regarding whether my service is taxable - providing educational/visa advice to students who want to study abroad.I heard from a few people that visa consultancies do not have to pay service tax.Does the same apply here and in that case should i not follow through with post verification?

Asked 1 year ago in Service Tax from Bangalore, Karnataka
Hello Sir,

It is advised to please follow up with your application. In case for any reason you are not interested in holding the number then please get it cancelled or else you may receive a notice from the Service Tax Department based on Best Judgement. Which will in turn cause you more hardship and cost.

Trust this clarifies your query. 

Feel free to call / get back in case of further clarifications. 

Thanking You. 

Rohit R Sharma
Rohit R Sharma
CA, Mumbai
2104 Answers
91 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Yes, this service is taxable.
Abhishek Dugar
CA, Mumbai
2934 Answers
123 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hello Sir,

Board’s Circular No. 137/6/2011-ST, dated 20/04/2011. Para 3 of the said Circular, which is reproduced as under:

“Visa facilitators, merely facilitate the procurement of visa and directly assist individuals who intend to travel abroad, to complete the immigration formalities. Visa facilitators collect certain statutory charges like visa fee, certification fee, attestation fee, emigration fee, etc. from the visa applicant, which are remitted to the respective authorities, and in addition collect service charges for themselves as remuneration for the assistance provided by them to obtain the visa. Such a service provided by a visa facilitator, in the form of assistance to individuals directly, to obtain a visa, does not fall under any of the taxable services under section 65(105) of the Finance Act, 1994. Hence service tax is not attracted.

for any further clarification feel free to contact us.
Shiv Kumar Agarwal
CA, Delhi
258 Answers
58 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA