• Exemption

My wife got a residential property settled in her name from me on 21.9.2012. She proposes to sell it and buy a residential flat in her name on 25.9.15. As on date she is also a joint owner of a flat along with me.  Is she eligible for exemption from long term capital gain? 
I shall be thankful for your valuable opinion. 
Asked 3 years ago in Capital Gains Tax from Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Firstly long term capital gains will have to be clubbed in your income u/s 64 income tax act. It you invest in a residential flat then you can claim exemption. Please be clear on section 64.
Vijay N. Kale
CA, Hyderabad
248 Answers
12 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Yes. U will be eligible.
Shashank Surana
CA, Chennai
60 Answers
4 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

The long term capital gain on the sale of property in the name of your wife may have to be included as your income, if the asset was acquired by her out of the funds gifted to her by you. Pl check this aspect.

Exemption of capital gain can be claimed if she invests in capital gains bonds or invests in a residential house.
B Vijaya Kumar
CA, Hyderabad
845 Answers
48 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Shyam Sunder Modani
CA, Hyderabad
1408 Answers
95 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, she will be eligible for exemption from long term capital gain tax.
Rohit R Sharma
CA, Mumbai
2104 Answers
91 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA