• Taxation if wife NRI transfer to husband saving account

My Wife is in Dubai for more than 182 days now and does not hold any NRI/NRE Account in india, I am her husband a salaried employee here in india. My Wife want to transfer money to my saving account. 
I want to know is there any Tax applicable: 
- If she will transfer money to her normal saving account 
- Is there any Tax libability on me if she will transfer to my normal saving account
- She went Dubai in June 2016, before that she was employed here in india and here total income for the current financial year [ April to June] was under the tax exemption limit. will it have any impact on total taxation in case of transfer to her saving account for the financial year
Asked 1 year ago in Income Tax from Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh
Dear Sir,

In the given case please find below answers :

a) Yes she can trasnfer money to your saving account.
b) There will be no tax liability on the said income and you need to show the same as gift from your wife.
c) No since the income earned by her in dubai shall be tax free there will be no tax implication. Only her account and income earned in dubai need to disclose in return filed in India.

Will be happy to serve any of your other requirement.

Thanks & Regards
CA Vishrut Shah
Vishrut Rajesh Shah
CA, Ahmedabad
605 Answers
10 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

1. Yes, you wife can transfer the amount to her normal saving account 

2. Even if your wife transfer the amount to you, there is not tax liability on you but you have to show this amount in your return of income as a gift from your wife. Further, if you invest this amount anywhere else and earn income from this amount, then that income will be taxable in your wife's hands and not in your hand.

Please feel free to call/revert in case of any doubts

Thanks and Regards
Abhishek Dugar
Abhishek Dugar
CA, Mumbai
2774 Answers
112 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hello Sir,

If your wife is a non resident for a specific year and she re-patriates or transfers funds to India, then no tax shall be payable on the same. 

Trust this clarifies your query. 

Feel free to call / get back in case of further clarifications. 

Thanking You. 

Rohit R Sharma
Rohit R Sharma
CA, Mumbai
2089 Answers
90 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

We assume that your query is answered by our profession colleague. For more mail at modani005@gmail.com
Shyam Sunder Modani
CA, Hyderabad
1408 Answers
95 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA