Can I sell and buy a flat to save LTCG

I purchased two flats .One in 1998 and other in 2006.Subsequently, I inherited another house. I have sold a flat which I had bought in 1998 and wish to purchase another flat  at different location. What are the LTCG implications?
Asked 2 years ago in Capital Gains Tax from Chandigarh, Chandigarh

You can purchase a new house property within end of previous year in which property is sold or within 2 years in case you invest that amount in capital gain account scheme till the time the property is not purchased.

In said case you can avail two benefits as deduction from sale value of property :

1. Indexation Cost of House Property Purchased in the year 1998 in place of original cost of purchase
2. Total Value of Purchase price of New Property

If you can give me exact figure than i can do proper working of capital gain and let you know taxability on it.

In case of nay further quarry you can contact me on
+91-9824798534 or
Vishrut Rajesh Shah
CA, Ahmedabad
605 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to Vishrut Rajesh Shah
The LTCG on the sale of your flat bought in 1998 will have to be worked out with reference to the indexed cost of acquisition of the flat. The indexed cost of acquisition of is roughly 3 times if the asset is sold in the current financial year. The amount of capital gain is exempt u/s 54, if it is invested in acquisition of another residential house, subject to the fulfillment of conditions specified therein. Or if the sale proceeds are invested in capital gains bonds upto Rs 50 L, the entire capital gains will be exempt u/s 54EC, subject to the fulfillment of conditions specified therein.

You need to balance out your cash flows and tax liability based upon the facts of your case,by consulting a Chartered Accountant in your area.  
B Vijaya Kumar
CA, Hyderabad
833 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to B Vijaya Kumar

Ask a Question

Get tax advice from top-rated chartered accountants. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
Ask a question

Other Questions

Chartered Accountants

Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
1249 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Vivek Kumar Arora
CA, Delhi
521 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Abhishek Dugar
CA, Mumbai
2653 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Nikhil Khanna
CA, Mumbai
408 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Sunny Thakral
CA, Delhi
224 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Rohit R Sharma
CA, Mumbai
2055 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Damini Agarwal
CA, Bengaluru
94 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Keerthiga Padmanabhan
CA, Greater Mumbai
784 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Vidya Jain
CA, Kolkata
499 Answers
4.0 on 5.0
Lalit Bansal
CA, Delhi
487 Answers
5.0 on 5.0