• Employer wrongly mentioned deduction for Section 80U in Form 16

I was just about to file returns when I noticed that deductions in Form 16 Annexure has been mentioned under Section 80U (Disability of the individual himself) which should actually be mentioned in Section 80DD – Deduction for Medical Disability of a dependent family member.
Asked 11 months ago in Income Tax from Chennai, Tamil Nadu
You may ask your employer for revision of such return.
Or else, file the correct return showing deduction under 80DD.
Be prepared for further communication from the IT department for such mismatch. You may be required to reply for such mismatch with adequate proofs.
Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
1647 Answers
43 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Not an issue. You can mention it in the correct head in the return of income.

Ensure you have all the back-up documents with you.

Please feel free to call/ revert in case you need more clarity.

Thanks and regards
Abhishek Dugar
Abhishek Dugar
CA, Mumbai
3078 Answers
135 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You take the correct deduction and also take a declaration from the employer that there was mistake on his part. This is just to safeguard in future.
Vidya Jain
CA, Kolkata
579 Answers
13 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

you have to inform your employer about this and after rectification of TDS return this may correct and you can fill your ITR with right particulars 
Lalit Bansal
CA, Delhi
529 Answers
36 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You can ask your employer to rectify their TDS returns and then file your returns.

Trust this clarifies your query. 

Feel free to call / get back in case of further clarifications. 

Thanking You. 

Rohit R Sharma
Rohit R Sharma
CA, Mumbai
2104 Answers
91 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You will have to ask your employer to rectify the Form 16 issued to you. Also, when you file your return, you will have to state the correct particulars of deduction.

Trust this clarifies.

Keerthiga Padmanabhan
M.Com., CA, LL.B
Keerthiga Padmanabhan
CA, Greater Mumbai
784 Answers
23 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Chartered Accountant

Get tax answers from top-rated CAs in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a CA