Is GST applicable to landlord share of flats?

Hi,
  I have bought flat  from land lord share .   The builder is marketing the flats . I have paid the advance and now the builder asking me to pay the  12% GST  for my flat  before  getting registered .  Should I pay ?
Asked 4 months ago in GST from Hyderabad, Telangana
Yes you are liable.
Vidya Jain
CA, Kolkata
421 Answers
4.0 on 5.0
  Talk to Vidya Jain
Only on the payment made in the GST Era i.e After 1ST July
Vidya Jain
CA, Kolkata
421 Answers
4.0 on 5.0
  Talk to Vidya Jain
Hi

Before the implementation of GST, Service Tax was applicable on construction service. So, for payments made before 1st July, ST was applicable.

From 1st July onward, GST @12% shall be applicable.
Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
700 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to Lakshita Bhandari
You will be liable to pay GST @ 12% for the billing / payments done on or after 1st July 2017, when the GST is introduced. Earlier, you would have paid service tax, if levied on you. 
You may claim input credit if you are also registered under GST.
B Vijaya Kumar
CA, Hyderabad
769 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to B Vijaya Kumar
The payments made after 1 July 2017 will be liable for GST.

Please feel free to call revert in case you need more clarity.

Thanks and regards
Abhishek Dugar
CA CS B.Com
Abhishek Dugar
CA, Mumbai
2209 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to Abhishek Dugar
Both the Service tax upto 30th July 2017 and GST from 1st July 2017 are payable at the earliest point of time, the time of billing or payment of advance. 
If the builder is charging GST, you can insist upon quoting your GST in the bill, if you are also registered under GST and you are entitled to claim input credit. Whether the Government is making false claim or not is not his concern. He has to mention your GST No. if you are having it and you intend to take the benefit of ITC. 
B Vijaya Kumar
CA, Hyderabad
769 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to B Vijaya Kumar
1. In relation to the 60% work completed, the invoices or payments before 1st July shall not attract GST. If you have paid cheque dated 1st July in relation to remaining 40% work, GST shall be applicable irrespective of the fact that the cheque was handed over before.

2. If you are registered under GST, you can surely claim the ITC on such GST paid to the builder. There's no point of false claims by the government. Quote your GSTN number to the builder so that he can give your details while filing his GST returns and ITC shall be available to you.
Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
700 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to Lakshita Bhandari
Hello,

1. Handing over the cheques is of no value unless you have a contract or a receipt from the builder stating that the payment was made before GST kicked in.

2. It is very difficult for you to find out the ITC benefits of the builder since you cannot access his books of accounts.

Trust this clarifies your query. 

Feel free to call / get back in case of further clarifications. 

Thanking You. 

Regards,
Rohit R Sharma
BCOM, FCA, LLB, CERT. FAFP
Rohit R Sharma
CA, Mumbai
1900 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to Rohit R Sharma

Ask a Question

Get tax advice from top-rated chartered accountants. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
Ask a question

Other questions asked by this user

Other Questions

Chartered Accountants

Abhishek Dugar
CA, Mumbai
2209 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
700 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Rohit R Sharma
CA, Mumbai
1900 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Keerthiga Padmanabhan
CA, Greater Mumbai
688 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
B Vijaya Kumar
CA, Hyderabad
769 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Lalit Bansal
CA, Delhi
434 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Shiv Kumar Agarwal
CA, Delhi
243 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Pradeep Bhat
CA, Bengaluru
367 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Vishrut Rajesh Shah
CA, Ahmedabad
598 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
B S Sridhar
CA, Chennai
43 Answers
5.0 on 5.0