Gift tax scenario

Dear Vijay N.Kale 

Just to follow my query ,  my daughter is major , studying and not earning at present . So if I transfer funds to her account as gift then the   interest income from investments of these gifted amount will be clubbed  with whom.. to me or my daughter. Kindly clarify.


Asked 2 years ago in Income Tax from New Delhi, Delhi
There will be no clubbing of income and she can independently file her tax returns and  offer such income in her hands
Vijay N. Kale
CA, Hyderabad
248 Answers
4.9 on 5.0
  Talk to Vijay N. Kale
Although this query is not addressed to me would like to clarify that I have already answered this a day earlier which clarifies all your doubts.

I am repeating the same for reference.

When you transfer money to your spouse as gift, income earned on such income is taxable in the hands of transferor.

When you transfer money to your minor daughter, income from the same will be will still be clubbed in your income (assuming that your income is more than your spouse's income), but you will get exemption of Rs. 1500per annum per child.: This is not applicable to you since you have clarified that your daughter is major.

When you transfer money to your major daughter, income from the same will not be clubbed in your income.: This is applicable to you.

It may be interesting to note that interest on interest may not be clubbed when clubbing provisions become applicable , say in case of your spouse or minor child..

Since mutual fund dividend or tax free bond incomes are not taxable at all, there is not question of the income being added, even if clubbing provisions do become applicable, however, you may show the same in your return as clubbed income and show exempt.

Please let me know, if you are not satisfied with the answer.

Sagar Jayawant
3rd Sept., 2015.
Sagar Jayawant
CA, Thane
27 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to Sagar Jayawant
the income o investments will be clubbed in your income
Shyam Sunder Modani
CA, Hyderabad
1409 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
  Talk to Shyam Sunder Modani

Ask a Question

Get tax advice from top-rated chartered accountants. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
Ask a question

Other questions asked by this user

Other Questions

Chartered Accountants

Lakshita Bhandari
CA, Mumbai
1051 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Abhishek Dugar
CA, Mumbai
2480 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Vivek Kumar Arora
CA, Delhi
343 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Nikhil Khanna
CA, Mumbai
255 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Sunny Thakral
CA, Delhi
198 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Rohit R Sharma
CA, Mumbai
2022 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
B Vijaya Kumar
CA, Hyderabad
824 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Keerthiga Padmanabhan
CA, Greater Mumbai
784 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Brijendra Tripathi
CA, Gurgaon
82 Answers
5.0 on 5.0
Vidya Jain
CA, Kolkata
480 Answers
4.0 on 5.0